We are looking for a medical coordinator for our new medical mission in Eastern Europe. In this position, you will represent the medical mission in Poland and together with the team of volunteers you will be committed to providing good care to people on the run. Are you an experienced doctor with overseas humanitarian work experience? And are you available in June? So read quickly!
WHERE ARE YOU GOING TO WORK?
Boat Refugee Foundation provides (emergency) medical and psychological assistance and defends the rights of people on the run. When systems become inhumane and compassion is lost, we act. Since 2015, we have been working in various locations on the edge of Europe. Since April 2022, we have also been providing medical aid in Eastern Europe to people who fled the war in Ukraine.
WHAT WILL YOU DO?
As Medical Coordinator, you are responsible for coordinating and strengthening our recently launched medical mission in the Polish city of Krakow. Together with a team of volunteers made up of doctors, nurses and interpreters, you will ensure that those on the run receive rapid and quality medical assistance.
HERE ARE YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES:
- You represent the medical mission in internal and external affairs and coordinate cooperation with other medical parties.
- You represent Boat Refugee Foundation, work to expand our network and maintain warm ties with existing cooperation partners.
- Drawing on your experience in the field, you are actively working to improve the mission. You do this in cooperation with the program manager in the Netherlands.
- You control medical activities and ensure the quality of our care in the field.
- You are responsible for referring patients to other (medical) organisations.
- You monitor patient follow-up, keep our medical protocols up to date and ensure a regular and adequate supply of medications and other medical resources.
- You are the contact person for the medical volunteers; you supervise and train them.
WHO ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
Given the start-up phase of the mission, we are looking for a determined, energetic initiator who can start as soon as possible and is available for at least three months. It is an advantage if you have already (voluntarily) worked for Boat Refugee Foundation.
Good to know: it may happen that we start new missions during your contract. In this case, you may be asked to work (temporarily) at another location. In this, we ask for your flexibility.
HERE IS YOUR PROFILE:
- You hold a medical degree, preferably as an emergency medicine doctor, tropical doctor or general practitioner.
- You have at least 3 years of relevant professional experience, including at least 1 year in the humanitarian field.
- You have experience as a manager in a foreign program; preferably in setting up new missions and carrying out needs assessments.
- You have a natural superiority and a good sense of your team’s needs.
- You have a knowledge of people and a good vision of qualities and pitfalls. You are able to empower people and can work with a wide range of personalities.
- You are decisive and energetic and well able to make independent medical decisions.
- You are flexible and stress resistant, you know how to solve problems and you are solution oriented.
- You want to contribute to the sustainability and continuity of our program.
- You have experience developing instruments to monitor the effectiveness of a program or activity (or the ability to learn quickly).
- You have a good command of the English language, both orally and in writing. Speaking Russian/Ukrainian/Dutch is an advantage.
- It is absolutely necessary that you are a national of one of the member countries of the European Union.
- Residence in the EU is required.
- You are in possession of a B driving license (this is a strict requirement).
WHAT DO WE OFFER YOU?
- A three-month temporary contract. An extension after this period is possible, up to a maximum of twelve months.
- A salary appropriate to the character and purpose of our organization, based on a 40-hour work week.
- On-site accommodation in a hotel/AirBnB, where the rest of the team is also staying.
- Reimbursement of your travel expenses (with a maximum of 500 euros).
How to register
ARE YOU INTERESTED?
Do you recognize yourself in the profile above and are you available at the beginning of June? Then apply quickly using the form below, by mail or video, to the attention of Program Manager Caroline van Kooten.
Asking for references is part of the application process. Please include at least two references in your cover letter and/or CV.
For more information on this position, please email [email protected] The position will be closed as soon as we have found a suitable candidate. We look forward to your response!